Friday, September 6, 2013

First Week Completed!

We had an excellent first week.  (As a secret side note to parents only:  it went much more smoothly than I anticipated!)

We got settled for Writing Workshop after the minilesson on stretching out sounds, and I realized I just had to share this video with you.  What hardworking kids you have!  I highly recommend that you show this video to your children so they can reflect on how serious they were about their work today.



We will be making lots of projects this year in first grade, so we had a guided discovery with glue sticks and construction paper.  I started by sharing my expectations for working with and caring for these materials, and the students were able to explore and discover to see what they could create.  They were proud of their creations and did such a good job taking care of each other as each shared their work.



At the end of my blog posts, I usually add a question and encourage students to respond.  Feel free to let the students type their answers in the comment box and we will share these in class.  They can stretch out their words and write the sounds they hear when they type--spelling doesn't have to be perfect.  I will be sending home a list of "fast" words next week to keep at home so they will have a resource when spelling in homework and writing on the blog.

What other kinds of materials would you like to use when you create?






6 comments:

  1. cardboard, foam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already started saving cardboard for you. Wait until you see our project supply closet!

      Delete
  2. Scissors, tape.
    - Logan S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll do a guided discovery with scissors and tape next week then, Logan!

      Delete
  3. crayons, tape, and sticks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see our project supply closet, Kyle!

      Delete

Comment here!